Gut microbiota and drug metabolism
This year, the scientific committee has chosen the following topic: “Gut microbiota and drug metabolism”.
The projects related to the following areas of research will be considered for funding:
- Gut microbiota metabolism/ chemical transformation of drugs with impact on drug efficacy or their adverse events profile
- Gut microbiota influence of drug pharmacokinetics (independently of direct transformation) with impact on drug efficacy or their adverse event profile
The Biocodex Microbiota Foundation founds research projects focused on human gut microbiota related to health and disease. Every year, the call for proposals covers a specific theme chosen by an International Scientific Committee. Either clinical or fundamental research proposals can be submitted.
The maximal duration of the project will be 3 years.
The grant is open to physicians, PhD's and Pharm-D's working in the subject area (gastroenterology, pediatrics, microbiology, infectious diseases and internal medicine, etc).
There are no geographic limitations of applicants. Candidates from all countries are potentially eligible.
A principal investigator having already received a Biocodex Microbiota foundation international grant cannot apply anymore. However, principal investigator of a National Grant can apply for the International Grant.
The annual grant is set at €200,000 VAT included, independently of the duration of the project (between 1 and 3 years).
When the duration of the research is longer than one year, the payment of the grant will be spread annually and according to the provisional budget, under the condition that Biocodex Microbiota Foundation receives annual interim reports.
The grant will be awarded to researchers within universities, hospitals or other research settings in order to finance equipment, operations or staffing costs associated with the project. However, the grants will not be awarded to an individual.
The Biocodex Microbiota Foundation (BMF) is a non-profit organization and thus, the institution overhead costs cannot be more than 10%.
The review of applications
All applications will be reviewed by the independent International Scientific Committee according to the following criteria:
- The proposal's consistency with the predetermined subject
- Its scientific quality
- Its originality
- Its benefit to human health
- The quality of the researcher
- The quality of the research environment
- The feasibility of the project
The International Scientific Committee is independent from the Company and is sovereign.
Their decisions will not be contested and do not have to be justified.
The applicants' undertakings
The applicants agree to provide the Foundation with a final report within the six months following the end of the project. However, if the project is longer than one year, they agree to provide an annual interim report, at each anniversary date.
The applicants will mention the Biocodex Foundation's support in any communication or publication of their work with the following sentence: "this work was (partially) supported by the Biocodex Microbiota Foundation". Applicant will send copies of these communications or publications to the Foundation.
The applicants authorize the Biocodex Foundation to publicize its support for their proposal and grants both on the BMF website and through other means by uploading the non-confidential summary of the proposal.
The postponement of the grant
If there are insufficient applications, the Foundation reserves the right to move the deadline for submitting applications to a later date or to postpone the call.
The application form can be downloaded by clicking the icon below :
Once you have completed the application form, the BMF would be grateful if you could submit your application electronically using the following e-mail address:
Please note the submission deadline: 30 November 2018 (24:CET). Following submission, all applicants will receive a receipt confirmation.
A late application form will, unfortunately, not be accepted for review by the International Scientific Committee of the Foundation.
Application process (see application form):
All project proposals have to be written in English and in arial, 10 and must respect the stated word limits. They must include:
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae: your CV should not exceed two pages including your best and most recent publications
- A confidential scientific summary of the proposal (1 page)
- A non-confidential simplified summary of the project (1/2 page): keep in mind, if your proposal is selected, this document will be published on the BMF website
- Project description
- 3 pages project description including the general context of your proposal, objectives, methodology, expected results, teams involved in the proposal, any necessary authorization from administrative authorities, reasons for requesting funding.
- 1 page of bibliography
- 1 page outlining your budget
- 1 page outlining your time line
Applicants must notify the Foundation of any other funding received or requested for the project submitted.